The Sheriff's Office is accepting the following documents for civil process during the COVID-19 pandemic:
General process (personal/substitute service)
Summons and petitions
Third-party levies (bank, rent, etc.)
Civil bench warrants
Restraining orders (domestic, harassment, elderly, gun violence, juvenile)
Notice of hearings
COVID-19 civil process procedures
- Plaintiff obtains court-approved documents
- Plaintiff brings documents to the Grove Street entrance (loading dock) of City Hall
For restraining orders:
- The plaintiff contacts the civil section at the phone number on the posted instruction sheet.
- A Sheriff's clerk and Deputy Sheriff will meet the plaintiff at the City Hall loading dock.
- SF Sheriff's staff will review the paperwork to ensure it includes all required forms and information.
- The plaintiff will complete and sign the instruction form
- The plaintiff will pay any required fee
- The Sheriff's Office will issue a receipt and advise the plaintiff if any additional information is needed
For all other services:
- The individual who drops off the service will follow the instructions on the posted instruction sheet
- Once an individual provides all required information, the paperwork to be served may be placed in the drop box
COVID-19 health and safety protections include:
- Plexiglass barrier at desk where business is conducted
- Hand sanitizer
- Contactless drop-off procedure for all regular services